SPRING 2014 || SEPTEMBER... I'VE DONE IT

SPRING! The first month of spring, and what a glorious start to the season it's been. The wattle was magnificent, the weather of the p...

katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com || tiled bird


SPRING! The first month of spring, and what a glorious start to the season it's been. The wattle was magnificent, the weather of the past two weeks has been glorious and our family has had an extra special reason to celebrate - a spring baby. All the family was gathered around our table on Sunday and it was lovely to have the three generations together and the promise of many more big family gatherings.

I READ Tom Rob Smith's The Farm. It was a book club choice and one I had to push through. I found too many flaws in the plot and the ending was an anti-climax.

Another book I found myself pushing through was the Walking Book Club choice from July: On Looking - Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes. I'm glad I did persevere. Alexandra Horowitz' guided walks around her New York block seemed a rather dry premise for a non-fiction read but the expert eyes she employed to guide her on her walks were really quite fascinating. That, and I had a number of long car trips to help keep me focussed on the narrative.

I WENT TO My old uni. I drove up to work with the University of Newcastle's equity and diversity unit and meet students from Waratah Technology High School. It was such a great day listening to students, all of whom came to Australia as refugees, talk about the impediments  they face to learning and education - a child's right, no matter the circumstances.

I LISTENED TO Really, nothing new. A few old favourites: Cat Powers, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, you know, the kinda music you can play loud and dance along like no one is watching.

I ATE I made a return to Vibewire's monthly Fastbreak series this mon
th and one of the event's sponsors is Black Star Pastry. Seriously good pastries and coffee. Forget the sweet treats, go the savouries: poppin' with flavour.

I SAW The Code. The new ABC drama has me hooked. I'm keen to see Gone Girl this long weekend.

I MADE I started on a new knitting project and I need to finish off a few craft projects for a coming Girl Guide camp.


You Might Also Like

1 comments